Those winter months are right around the corner and you may already be feeling the drying effects of the chill on your skin. If this is you, you may be at a loss for where to begin with keeping your skin in tip-top condition... Well, don't you worry babe; we've got your back 😘
Identifying Dry Skin
Dry skin is characterised by a flaky or rough texture. It can often feel tight and is easily irritated. Take our skin type test here.
- Flaky / rough skin
- Uneven texture
- Skin feels tight
What Causes Dry Skin?
- Dry climate and cold weather
- Long hot showers
- Products which aren't nourishing enough
Caring For Dry Skin
Best Skincare Products for Dry Skin by Standard Beauty
Mild Face Wash
- Cleansing Oil
- Aloe & Cucumber Toner
Water-Based Serums: Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide
Oil-Based Serums: Squalane, Marula Oil, Rosehip Oil
Dry Skin Starter Kit
Vitamin C Jelly Hydration Face Mask
- Microdermabrasion Face Scrub
The lovely Zim enjoying the non-greasy, hydrating effects of our Marula Oil Serum
Identifying Sensitive Skin
If your skin often feels flushed after eating spicy food and generally reacts badly to new products, then you may have sensitive skin. Take our skin type test here.
- Skin feels itchy and tight
- Parts of your body have uneven texture
- Becomes oily in summers
- Gets dry in winters
- Reacts to skincare
- Becomes red after a hot water bath
- Feels itchy while wearing tight clothes
- Feels flushed after eating spicy food
Caring For Sensitive Skin
Conduct A Patch Test
This is very important if you want to avoid adverse skin reactions to new products. Don’t use a product without testing it on the top of your hand first and waiting for at least 24 hours. If your skin shows no signs of flaring up, apply the product to the area behind one of your ears before using it on your face.
Don’t Overdo Your Skincare Routine
Buy a mild cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen. Don’t apply too many products to your face.
Don’t Blindly Believe The “Hypoallergenic” Label
Products claiming to be “hypoallergenic” may still not necessarily be suitable for you. Conduct a patch test before applying these products as well.
Best Skincare Products for Sensitive Skin by Standard Beauty
- Mild Face Wash
- Aloe & Cucumber Toner
- Water-Based Serums: Hyaluronic Acid, Alpha Arbutin, Niacinamide
- Oil-Based Serums: Squalane, Marula Oil, Rosehip Oil
- Sensitive Starter Kit
- Lightweight Moisturiser (note: not suitable for dry skin)
We all know that looking good helps us feel good and vice-versa. We want you to keep your skin healthy, energised, vibrant, and rejuvenated to avoid any signs of ageing and other problems that may arise over time. Happy, healthy skin makes for a happy, healthy you ✨
Our Aloe & Cucumber Toner contains a highly effective solution for sensitive skin
Other General Tips for Dry & Sensitive Skin Types:
- Humidity and dry skin are BFFs, and by keeping the shower door closed, you can increase moisture while showering or bathing.
- Wash your face with warm water rather than hot water and keep very long hot showers to a minimum.
- Wash your face gently and pat-dry with a soft cotton towel. Do not rub-dry, as this will cause irritation and damage over time.
- Moisturise your face while it is still slightly damp to encourage deeper penetration into the skin.
- Do not over-cleanse; once a day is enough (and you can even get away with only cleansing a couple of times a week!).
- STAY HYDRATED!
Our sparkly Standard Babes showing off their glow
We hope you've found this helpful in providing a game-plan as it continues to cool down ❄️ Whether you've got a dry and/or sensitive skin type or simply tend to experience a bit of dryness on certain areas of your face during the dryer seasons, you can follow these tips and implement them into your skincare routine as needed. And remember - keep calm and hydrate 💦